About this blog
This blog is about:
- promoting local businesses
- making money through advertising and affiliate marketing
- working with others who share the same values and want to do the same
Making money is a good thing and a nice incentive, but what I’m trying to achieve is a national directory of independently owned local directories. Imagine if the cities and categories in Craigslist or Yelp, were managed by people in those cities.
The themes I use to promote the small businesses in my area, Albany, NY, are these. I bought these themes for two main reasons:
- I trusted the developer. I didn’t know him or much about what I was getting into, but I believed he was solid in his work.
- The price was right.
I also use Bluehost hosting. Bluehost was the first hosting service I bought years ago, and has remained the only hosting service I use. Why?
- I was impressed by their customer support
- I haven’t had any problems
Why local businesses?
Perhaps, more so than for the local economy, I think the personality and expression that stems from small businesses is just as valuable as the dollars they make. If you reduce or eliminate the independent business owners from a city, you pretty much lose that regions culture.
Why Businesses? Why Entrepreneurship?
They engage me. They are ways that I can express myself. That’s probably why I start the things I do because I see the value in people expressing themselves through their businesses, and I do my best to bring attention (customers) to them.